Thursday, September 8, 2011

I Run for Life

It is that time of year again. Facebook is flooded with women raising money for the Cure and the run/walk for breast cancer is fast approaching. I have never participated in this event and ironically I think it was only last year that I first bought a pink ribbon in support of the cause. Fast forward a year later and I have a very very different view on this event and the people who bring it to life. This pink army who marches through rain and shine, for their mothers, daughters, aunts, cousins and friends, are suddenly this year marching for me. I have never been passionate about any cause which I attributed to the fact that I had never been touched directly by tragedy or illness. But when the cancer fairy dive bombed me earlier this year and then Captain AC a few months later, I (and my family) became a part of this cause. Having been through such a challenging ordeal, all I want is for others to be fortunate enough to avoid this vicious disease. I really want my daughter to grow up and not have to worry about this. So I want to commend all those women dusting off those trainers and running for a cure. My cure! I will be running alongside all of you next year and taking my spot amongst all the other pink warriors. Cancer – consider this your warning. Your time on this earth is fast expiring.

Excerpt from Melissa Etheridge’s “I Run for Life” (herself a breast cancer survivor)
I run for hope
I run to feel
I run for the truth
For all that is real
I run for your mother, your sister, your wife
I run for you and me, my friend

Keep running,
OBB

3 comments:

  1. I am honored to be part of your pink army.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Kate! I am sharing this blog with as many of my friends as I can, so they can participate by walking or donating to "Run for Cure". Fortunately Sara already has a team ready to go so we can directly support her and her team's efforts. This is so much bigger than a family affair - It is a veritable Pink Army! And one day - hopefully sooner than later, there will be a cure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if it's the lack of sleep or the over joy of my newly fresh out of the oven bun, but I can't stop crying. You are an inspiration and I, too, will look at the run next year..or maybe we can run it together?? xxxx

    ReplyDelete