Tuesday, June 5, 2012

OBB Aspirations

Again more time has elapsed then I had planned for in between blog entries. It seems that life much like before I got sick is getting in the way. I find I now have little time to sit back, reflect and get some perspective on things and most of this is purely down to me and the decisions I make on how I spend my days. After walking a little slower than everyone else for the last year, I suddenly feel so restlessness and unable to sit still. There always seems to be something for me to do – another load of laundry, an activity with my daughter, a shelve to reorganize, a job to apply for, a yoga session to do…It really has become hard for me to sit down on the sofa and just be in the moment. Hence the challenges of writing any blog entries as I really need quiet time in order for the thoughts and inspirations to bubble to the surface. I know I need to be careful of overdoing things and remember hearing advice from many other patients who warned me of the burn out that could happen if you tried to do too much too soon. I am aware I need to take it easy but it is so hard to actually do.

I have started doing some work for a cancer charity which has been great as it allows me to use my writing skills in a more structured way and I love being able to use my brain again. It is comforting to know that I can still be clever and come up with good ideas as I sometimes worried that I may have lost that ability after not using it for so long. I also have been thinking lots about what I could do to celebrate the fact I am a cancer survivor and also raise money for the cause. This is very much a North American trend of people doing extraordinary things in the name of charity. I want to get in on the action and do something great. I want to push my personal limits, I want to work towards a goal, I want to become stronger and fitter and I want to raise money and publicity for cancer. Perhaps this may come across as slightly self involved but I want to do something that shows people that you can get a deadly disease and come out the other side. Now I have some pretty good ideas and one of them is really taking shape but I don’t want to write about it unless I am 100% sure I am doing it. Or else I run the risk of becoming the girl who talked the talk but didn’t in fact walk the walk. That girl isn’t too popular is she? So I will let you all know what crazy thing OBB will be doing in 2012 and I hope all of you will support me in it regardless of where you are in the world. I am ready to leave my mark and turn something horrific into something fun and positive. I am looking forward to starting to pave a new road for me from which a new journey will begin.

Aside from my charitable aspirations, everything else is moving swiftly ahead. We are fortunate enough to have Captain AC touching down on Nordic soil this weekend which I am beyond excited about. I am also hoping that she can provide some English speaking bootcamp to my daughter who is speaking just a little too much Norwegian these days. Yes I know I do in fact live in Norway where they speak Norwegian but I cannot tell you how weird it is to hear your child speaking a language that is just so foreign to you. I considered it a huge coup when we actually managed to sing Twinkle Twinkle together in English this past week. I take my victories where I can!

So that is all from me. Have a great day everyone!

OBB

No comments:

Post a Comment