Friday, January 6, 2012

Birthdays

I just wanted to write a short blog today just to get down some things down that i think are important.

It is my birthday on Monday and we are heading off to the family cabin to celebrate both my daughters and my birthdays together. Birthdays bring up funny emotions and thoughts - often reflective in nature. After the year I have had I can safely say that I have grown in so many ways in the past 12 months. I think after speaking with someone about it yesterday - who asked me how this whole experience had changed me - I realised that I had changed when I become pregnant, I changed again when I had my daughter and now I have changed again through having cancer. So as I turn 32 on Monday (and physically feel about 70 now!), I am much more proud of who I am then I was a year ago. I also know myself much better. But probably the most important thing is that I am here to celebrate this birthday. My concept of time is so different now and I feel like a year is a gift and five years like a lifetime. Once you experience having your time taken from you prematurely every second and every moment is precious. I think it might make me extra aware of my birthday this year as I often just think of it as just another day. It isnt just another day but rather the beginning of another year of living in the moment for me and another chance to do something different.

I also heard some very sad news today that my grandmother had passed away in Canada. After having recently booked a trip to Canada for my daughter and I, I was so looking forward to seeing her and having her see how much my little one had grown since I had been there last. But sometimes life takes its own twists and turns. I think she lived a long and happy life well into her 90s and her passing is very sad but also the way it should be. Everyone should have long and full lives and when their bodies are tired and their minds ready - be released. I dont think I had this depth of understanding about life, death and the ageing process before having cancer because now I too often see people being robbed of the simple act of living and be forced to submit reluctantly to this beast we call cancer. It just isnt fair and happens way too often. So i would like to give a special shout out to another beautiful angel in the sky who I hope knows we love her.

Have a good weekend everyone and please hug the people you love.

OBB

3 comments:

  1. Kate, You are one impressive amazing young woman!!!This year has brought incredible changes in your perspectives on Life, - how to live and value Life and what matters each day. I am sad that you had to deal with worries and suffering and wish the cure was 100 percent guaranteed! However, you have risen to the challenges with amazing humor and attitude, and normality. The journey continues with Hope and Trust...Here's best wishes and a toast for a very Happy Birthday - many happy returns and reclaimed health! May all your wishes come true! Love abundant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kate,

    Unquestionably, your past year is one that has been filled with challenges emotionally, physically, and mentally, coupled with ups and downs, twists and turns, blessed with old and new friendships, cherished by moments of true love, caring, support, and knowledge . I believe it must have been a very difficult, yet meaningful year that you would never forget.

    I hope your birthday, as you said, will "bring up funny emotions and thoughts, reflective in nature”. Well, the past year you have had was already in history. I am glad that you can safely say that you have grown in so many ways and you also know yourself much better. Above all, the most important and wonderful truth is: YOU ARE HERE TO CELEBRATE YOUR BIRTHDAY.

    For sure, your concept of time is so different now and it’s amazing that you treat a year as “ a gift “and “five years is like a lifetime”. For us survivors, every moment is simply so precious. To me, I promise myself that I will make every effort to live well my second chance, be a better person, and value everything, everybody around me everyday.

    Here is wishing you a very lovely birthday celebration with your dear ones, a day filled with love, laughter, humour, fun, favorite desserts - cake? chocolate? Or perhaps a special dish from Oslo! May I now join Captain AC in wishing you all the best for the year 2012. May God grant you abundant graces and courage as you continue your incredible journey with Hope and Trust! For sure, many happy returns and reclaimed HEALTH are awaiting you! May all your wishes come true!

    A toast for a very special Birthday young woman!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    Hugs and Prayers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Your family are really going trough some though times. I am glad you'll be going home to Canada soon. Being with the ones you love often make everything a little bit easier. At least it does for me. I am home with my familiy at the moment, and right now there's nowhere else I'd rather be (at least until I get bored and long back to Oslo again, hehe)

    Happy bithday! (A little bit too late I see). Hope you had a wonderful celebration. I too think every birthday is so special now. Every time it is I want to shout "I am alive!!!". My friends are complaining about getting older. I'm like "oh yeah, another year. Check!", and then I feel very pleased with my surviving skills.

    We are going to have sooooo many birthdays ahead of us, Kate. The checks will just go on and on. Because we are going to survive this monster. We just are.

    ReplyDelete